Saturday, December 04, 2010

219. Renewal

So you've gone off the rails for a fair bit. Seen stuff. Done stuff. Stuff that you're not entirely proud of. Not quite reaching rock bottom because you suddenly realise you're on the way down. Sometimes life has a habit of reeling you back, making you see the error of your ways. It pulls you back, like that verb you trust that you can always count on, never letting you down as Pearl Jam would say.

I have my own version of that verb, that totem. I thank my lucky stars for it. It helps me reconnect to that "beautiful sadness" that Altiyan Childs sought in the solitude of the caves amongst the northern beaches of Sydney. Sometimes it takes that memory of sorrow to remind you of who you are and where you come from.

So anyway, there's much promise to be found in the New Year. Renewal one hopes. Hope always springs eternal, even for the jaded.

No comments: