Tuesday, January 02, 2007

94. The Long Defeat




"Please allow me to introduce myself,
I'm a man of wealth and taste,
I've been around for a long, long years,
Stole many a man's soul and faith"
- The Rolling Stones, Sympathy for the Devil






We've been fighting the long defeat for ages. Most of us anyway. It's a strange sort of war this one, in the sense that the ending is already pre-determined. There may be some sweet victories to savour in minor skirmishes and even large battles, but victory in the war will be forever unattainable. Yet we shall fight it. With tooth and nail, with every sinew and muscle. Till our hands bleed and our hearts ache, and our brains pound and our eyes tear.

Which war do I speak of? But you know the answer to that already. Our fall will be the fall of the ages.

No comments: